Contact us: Spain: +34 951 082 338
WhatsApp chat
| UK: +44 20 3393 4235 | USA: +1 786 209 1903




Whether you are a national of a European Union member state or not, you will need an identification number in Spain if you need to issue your NIF or register in the Social Security system. The NIE is a similar document to the DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad in Spanish) for non-Spanish citizens.

A Foreign Identification Number (Número de Identidad de Extranjero or NIE in Spanish) is the first document that you should issue once you come to Spain. This number a unique, individual and sequential number granted to every non Spanish citizen who comes to Spain to study, reside or develop a lucrative activity. If you come to Spain for tourism, you won’t need it; however, from the moment you intend to buy a property, a car, open a bank account or start a business in Spain, you should get one.

It is important to know that even though the NIE is required to set up a company, work and reside in Spain, it is not equivalent to a residency permit or visa, which means that you will not be allowed to reside for a long period in Spain or extend you permit to reside in our country just for holding this foreign identification number. Also, if you have been legally residing in our country, you won’t be able to issue your NIE.

How can we help you?

Getting your NIE could involve traveling to Spain, wait for an appointment for over 3 weeks -especially in big and crowded cities-, fill the corresponding application form in Spanish, make the queue and deal with the Spanish officer when the day comes –normally the Spanish officers speak only Spanish-.

Our Law Firm can help you getting your NIE for the Spanish Law foresees that a third party can issue your identification number provided that he or she is duly authorized to do so. In this case, our Law Firm will provide you all the guidance and assistance that you need through our attorneys.

Our solicitors can represent you before the corresponding Spanish Police Office by means of a Power of Attorney duly notarized and legalized signed by the applicants. Our attorney will handle every detail from drafting the Power attorney to submitting the documentation, so you can receive your NIE at your home or office. They can help you and your family applying for your NIEs.

In case that you need to translate the Power of Attorney please remember that it must be translated into Spanish by a certified public interpreter.

Which documents do you need to present to apply for the NIE?

In order to apply for your NIE generally you will be required to submit these documents:

-The form EX-15.

-A letter stating the reasons to request the NIE and the supporting documentation in connection therewith.

-Original and copy of the passport -or any other identification document- of the applicant.

-Other needed documentation as birth certificates, marriage certificates, among others when applicable.

If you hire our services, you will only need to issue power of attorney and copy of your passport notarized and legalized.

What would happen if you misplace or need to issue a new certificate of your NIE?

The process to apply for your NIE will be the same as applying for the first time, although the number won’t change for it has been granted to you for life.

Your NIE will be always requested when initiating any economic or professional activity. Thus, contact us and/or fill the application form to start your application today.